Wednesday, March 14, 2012

"Come on Baby and Rescue Me" a little insight on the world of rescue and shelter pets

My rescue cat, Monkey, taking a snooze with a baby Aaron.


I am quite late on writing this blog. I've wanted to for weeks but life got in the way. Also I started a new job, which I love, and enrolled in school so I've been engrossed in some changes. Also, my little  baby, Jude turned one! Not such a little baby....*tear*. Anyway, a close friend of mine posted an article on my facebook page and was interested in my thoughts. The article was called "No pet for you" and was posted on slate.com. Oh, was I intrigued...

Having worked at an animal shelter (an amazing one by the way) for almost a decade I am always curious as to others opinion on the process behind rescuing an animal. To be clear for those who don't know, an animal shelter or humane society is not the same as a rescue group. Nor is it the same as an animal control facility. A humane society adopts out homeless animals to loving homes. Many are privately run and owned and rely mostly on donations from their supporters. They typically are NOT government run or owned properties. A rescue group is a group started by individuals that try to help with the overflow from shelters. Many are breed specific and are also run solely on donations and adoption fees. An animal control facility is known as what some would call a "pound" although even they are getting better. They are government run facilities that are responsible for collecting stray animals in the community. What they do with them varies. Back in the day, I repeat back in the day, it was common for them to euthanize any animal that was not redeemed by its owner. Nowadays, many of those are transferred to shelters, rescues, or adopted straight out. Not to say that is always the case but the guy running around with a net, driving a paddy wagon type vehicle, and aggressively capturing dogs has long been a thing of the past.

Back to topic. After reading this article and being asked my opinion I wanted to know more. Even though I no longer work for the animal shelter it will always be near and dear to my heart and saving homeless animals will always be a passion of mine. Let's just say that lots in the article shocked me but then after I thought about it. Not so much. I'll explain why.

The article is basically bashing private rescue groups because of the adoption process. Yes, it can be an ordeal. Yes, you have to answer a lot of questions and that can be annoying. The article sights that many groups won't adopt to you because you work full time, or don't have a fenced in yard, if you plan to have children, or if there are too many steps to your front door. Yes, some rescue groups go a little to far in who is the "ideal pet owner" and sometimes that clouds the simple fact that this animal needs a home. Maybe not a perfect home but still a home. Unless the potential adopter is a Michael Vick supporter I think they ought to ease up a bit. That being said, there are still some important "tests" that need to be passed. For example, my former place of employment had two major requirements to be "approved". One being that you either own your own home or they get permission from you landlord. I think that's pretty understandable. If you rent, adopt a pet you can't have, landlord finds out, back comes the pet which is quite stressful for the animal. Secondly, is that your current pets are up to date on vaccinations and if they are not they ask that you update them. Not much to ask. This is not just for the safety of the incoming animal but for the safety of your own pet. We are talking about an animal that has been surrounded by many other animals and may have spent a significant amount of time outside coming in contact with god knows what. While the shelter pet may not be sick because it was vaccinated, doesn't mean that it didn't come in contact with something. Same as if you were to take your dog out for a walk or to a park. All kinds of little buggers it can come in contact with but if being treated with heart worm preventative, flea control, and vaccinated against distemper and rabies will be fine. By the way, those are the big vaccinations most places want your pet to have as they are deadly diseases and there is no cure.

So, do most shelters or humane societies put you through the third degree? Not really. Will some rescues? Well yes. While many questions and requirements from some rescues I find absolutely ridiculous I do know where they are coming from. I don't agree with the inquisition because at some point you need the potential pet owner to carry the responsibility and accountability. Also, having met quite a few rescuers myself there is a sense of "you're not worthy" air about some of them. But I am not going to crucify the majority of rescues for their policies. You have to know that many of these people do this unpaid and for the well being of the animal. Also, the things that they have seen or even I have seen are things the general public does not want to see or know. Your view on humanity is definitely put into question. I have spent many many nights either setting my alarm to bottle feed day old kittens in the middle of the night, check the bandage on a cat that got stuck on a barbwire fence and had his leg amputated, or cleaned out wounds that contained maggots. Yes, I said maggots. Not to mention the animals that come in grossly underweight and starved from neglect. The owner simply did not feel like feeding the animal. Crazy? Yes, but it happens. A lot. I've seen it. Did that make me hate people in general. Honestly, sometimes I did. I couldn't believe my fellow man had such disregard for a life they where responsible for and a life that relied 100 percent on their owner. And let's not forget WE MADE THEM THAT WAY. Now after spending all this time with an animal and literally nursing them back from near death you grow an attachment and only want the best for that animal. You will always think someone won't care about them as much as you do. But, that's not true. Someone will. And yes, many times the person who cared for the sick or injured animal is going to end up keeping them. Example, all three of my cats. Dulce, the black female that I fostered and cared for because her owners let her out daily and in the winter. To find warmth she crawled into an engine block. Owner started car and she got her leg and tail stuck in the belt. Owners didn't want to pay vet bill even though it was their fault and she came to the shelter. Who do you think paid that bill? The shelter. She had to have her front leg amputated. She was only 6mths old. After caring for her for many months, it was decided she stay with me. And the fact she attacked everyone else......Moxie I got as a kitten with a rotted off tail, and Monkey came to me after being hit by a car and having both legs broken and pins put in his hip.Clearly, I often fostered the injured. I have care for more amputees then I can even count. And no, I did not keep them all.

You see, after all this you do want the animals to be in the best home if you cannot keep them. I like to say because I have a husband and children I'm maxed out on room for more pets. Two dogs and three cats is plenty. It's understandable how rescuers are hesitant to let their little loves go but the fact doesn't change that they have to let them go. There is a strong connection between hoarders and rescuers. Many hoarders disguise themselves as "rescuers" and basically take in the animals but none are leaving. Just one thing to ponder.

The sad fact is over 4 million cats and dogs are euthanized each year for lack of homes and space. This isn't the very old and sick. Or the aggressive. This is healthy lovable pets that their owner could no longer care for. That, my friends, is the big picture. The petty "you can't have a full time job" or "what do you mean you want kids in the next 10 years?", and the "home visit" seem unneeded. What is needed is homes. Don't have to be perfect but suitable for the animal. Before writing this blog I have read literally hundreds of stories of would be great homes get turned away from rescues for not passing their "test". After all, weren't they doing the right thing by rescuing and not buying?! What do you think these families did that wanted a dog after being so harshly rejected? Went to a breeder or worse yet a pet store. The very thing shelters and rescuers are trying to discourage. By being to harsh with their requirements they shot themselves in the foot. These aren't scumbag families either. But homes that any animal would be lucky to be in. Many national organizations have recognized there is a problem about not placing more accountability on the would be pet owner and finding petty reasons to "deny" their application.

Do I think the article was right on the money? No, I think it was a bit too harsh on people just trying to help. But somewhere along the way the line and the ultimate goal got a bit off course. We need to remember the millions of animals that are euthanized each year and will continue to be if rescues don't let their animals go to good homes. Because then they don't have room to take in any more from shelters and that leads to more euthanization. It should be mentioned that many shelters are doing everything in their power to euthanize less or no adoptable animals. That is the direction they are going. So get it out of your head that shelters are just places for pets to die. That is crazy. People wouldn't work there for little pay or volunteer if they didn't love animals and just want to help. I knew and still know some of the most amazing people that ever walked this Earth that I met through the shelter. People that humble me and are people I feel like I am lucky to know.  And to the overzealous rescuers....rethink your decision. Over breeding and puppy mills will continue to thrive if families have no where else to turn to get their next furry family member.

No comments:

Post a Comment