Monday, March 16, 2015

5 Days of Outfits by a Four Year Old

I have had this incredible urge to start blogging again for quite some time. I take ridiculous long breaks between posts and I figured out what my problem was. I blog when I feel there is something to tell that happened to me. But I used to blog about everyday situations and current events. That was good. I felt it was an outlet for me to get out my opinions on various topics. Then I hit a wall and no more blogging happens. 

Well, yesterday I got the inspiration I needed to start blogging again. I saw a post on my newsfeed about a woman who let her 3 year old dress her for 5 days. It was everything you thought it would be. Cute, fun and a great bonding experience for the mother and son. I was intrigued by this and after agonizing over what to dress my 4 year old, we'll call him J, I wanted to see how he would pick out clothes for mommy. Would he agonize? Would he try to match colors or patterns? Does he yet realize

How could this guy not have good taste in fashion! 
He dons fake facial hair!
pajamas are not to be worn in public? The answer is a big fat no. When I explained to J that he could pick out what Mommy had to wear, he immediately got to work. He walked into my closet, looked around, actually put his little finger to his mouth and said, "Hmmmmm." As if he was contemplating the best look for a red carpet appearance. He noticed my lovely turquoise scarf with white polka dots (I have a scarf addiction) and his face lit up. "This Mommy!" Ok. We have one piece down. I told him I need a little more than a scarf for the day. He moved over to my dressers. I helped by opening up the drawers with shirts, sweaters, leggings, and reminded him jeans were in the closet. None of those items made the cut. J beelined for an impulse buy/gift. I had mentioned to my husband, A, that I saw these onesies for adults at Walmart (this was around Christmas when my rationale on items flies out the heavily fake snow decorated window). I went on and on how cute they were and how comfortable they looked. You get it. So A, being the attentive and pleasing husband he is, brought home an adult onesie for me the next day. There were several types including characters, patterns, old fashion ones with butt buttons and more. I was lucky enough to get a Mickey Mouse onesie. Not just a onesie with Mickey pattern but a onesie that actually is made to look like Mickey's outfit. Huge white buttons, the whole thing. Oh, did I mention it came complete with a hood and Mickey ears! 

This of course, was J's choice. I hesitated, but I hadn't told him no on pajamas, though technically, I never wore these to bed. More on that later. I asked J for some socks. He grabbed an old pair of baby blue slipper socks (do they still make these?) and said, "Here! Boo Socks!"


I have my outfit. After a long and contemplative shower, I knew I couldn't back down. I had posted on Facebook and teased this is what I was going to do. J was so excited about my outfit, he continues to point it out all day. He's been doing a lot of laughing so I'm just a little concerned he is actually laughing at how ridiculous I do look. 

I tried to do the skinny arm thing, but this is one unforgiving onesie. I even did my hair and makeup. Didn't help. But the kid is happy!

Problems with outfit number 1:



  1. Biggest problem. You have to remove the entire thing each time you have to go to the bathroom. No butt buttons on this one. Just two gigantic face white buttons in the front. This means unzippering from the top and peeling it off. The most challenging was not letting the hood drop into the toilet. I began to have flashbacks of the jumpers my mom made me where as a kid that were just one piece. You had to be totally naked from the waist up just to use the bathroom. The stone washed jean jumper with the hot pink frills and buttons haunts me to this day.
  2. Not a lot of breathing room in this thing and no access to arms, legs, back anything if you have an itch or want to use lotion or something. 
  3. It's 70 degrees today. And I'm wearing some kind of synthetic fabric I'm convinced was assembled by a disgruntled worker who was pissed that Americans are buying adult sized Mickey Mouse onesies while he makes 10 cents an hour sewing on the ears. This is not a natural fabric but some kind of hybrid between velour, polyester and maybe a cotton blend? Can't be too sure. 
So, I suppose it could be worse. I have decided to rule out pajamas for this week. Or anything that is too much like pajamas. I'm not going anywhere to day except to pick up my other son, AD, and I won't be exiting the car. I do have places to go this week so I'm hoping J will pick up on color trends and matching patterns. When I explained the blue slipper socks did not match the onesie or the scarf he simple said, "But I LIKE BOO." Fair enough. Kid likes blue. I can only imagine what tomorrow will have in store for me. 

Thanks for reading and have a happy day! Please follow and share my blog! Please comment your thoughts! 

Anonymously, 
Alex

1 comment: